If you have a home office, I encourage you to schedule a few minutes this week for a clutter clearing session. Now don't stress out, you're not going to be clearing out the entire office. I would just like you to check in with these five common clutter areas that I find when working with my clients.
1. Old Chargers - Many of us have old chargers lying around or shoved in drawers "just in case"; however, there's no sense in keeping a charger for a phone that no longer works. Do you really need multiple chargers for the same item? Do all those chargers even still work?
2. Old Pens and Highlighters - I've always loved finding pens that write really well. I used to save them until they wouldn't write a single letter and were completely dried. Now I've found my favorite pens and stock up on them, so I don't need to keep old ones. Don't forget to check in with dried highlighters and markers. Sharpies are nice too, but only when they write well!
3. Drinkware and Food Wrappers - You might need a snack during the day, but are you cleaning out your food wrappers and used drinkware when you're done? A client I recently worked with had almost half a dozen glasses and a couple coffee mugs sitting in her office. Make a point to clean out any glasses, mugs, or food wrappers and containers. While you're at it, this is a great time to empty your garbage can!
4. Freebies from Workshops and Seminars - Sure it's fun to snag the freebies at seminars and classes, but, are you really using it? Get rid of any items that you're not using (especially those tote bags that just get stuffed in a corner). The next time you're offered freebies, think about if it is an item that you will actually use. If not, it's a pass!
5. Excess Binder Clips, Paper Clips and Rubber Bands - So often we receive printed materials or samples using binder clips, paper clips or rubber bands; however, when do you ever use them again? It's easy to hang onto these "just in case". I'd suggest clearing out all but one or two.
If you can stay on top of these five things, I just know your office will feel less cluttered over time leading to better focus and higher productivity. Go ahead and mark this time down in your calendar so you don't forget. Also, let me know how it feels once you get in the routine and experience the clarity that comes with it.